Advanced Phrasal Verbs in English
English phrasal verbs are an essential part of the language, adding depth and nuance to our communication. However, they can also be confusing and difficult to master, especially for English language learners. In this article, we’ll be exploring 10 common phrasal verbs that are frequently used in everyday English conversation.
With these 10 common phrasal verbs in your vocabulary, you’ll be able to communicate more effectively and sound more fluent in English. Practice makes perfect, so don’t be afraid to use these phrasal verbs in your own conversations. With time and experience, they will become second nature to you. Keep learning, keep growing, and never stop improving your English skills.
10 Common Phrasal Verbs with Examples and Meaning
Definition; to cancel an event or agreement
– They called off the engagement and stopped making wedding plans.
Definition; to understand something or to solve a problem
– She couldn’t figure out how to turn on the heater.
Definition; to refuse an offer or request
– We invited her to our dinner party, but she turned it down.
Definition; to delay doing something or to arrange to do something at a later time
– You always put off going to the dendist.
Come up with
Definition; to suggest or think of an idea or plan
– She’s come up with an excuse for being late.
Definition; to make a mistake or to spoil something
– I feel I’ve messed up my chances of getting the job..
Get away with
Definition; to do something bad without being punished for it
– He thinks he can get away with cheating in the exam.
Definition; to suddenly become very anxious, upset or afraid
– Mum is going to freak out when she finds out what I’ve done.
Definition; to lose an opportunity to do or experience something
– He missed out on the opportunity to go to Japan.
Definition; to start studying or working hard, to apply oneself to a task
– You really need to knuckle down if you want to pass your exams.
Learn 10 Advanced Phrasal Verbs with TV Series and Movies
The video below provides a unique and entertaining way to learn 10 advanced phrasal verbs in English. By watching popular TV series and movies, you’ll be able to see these phrasal verbs in context and gain a deeper understanding of their usage. This method of learning is not only effective, but also enjoyable, making it a fun and memorable experience.