call back : return a phone call
- As I couldn’t reach him, I left a message and asked him to call me back.
call for : require
- Even though climate change calls for immediate action, many countries are slow to respond.
call in : phone your workplace to report something
- Since I’m not feeling well, I’m going to call in sick, the first thing in the morning.
call off : cancel
- The football match has been called off due to bad weather conditions.
call out : criticize somebody for doing something
- The local government was called out for not building enough parks in the city.
call on : formally request sb to do something
- The board of directors has called on the CEO to resign following the big loss of the company.
call up : reach by phone, summon for military services
- She called me up to say “Happy birthday”.