What is a proverb?
A proverb is a short saying that often gives life advice or expresses truth based on experience. They are commonly used in everyday conversation. If you understand proverbs, it’ll help you understand native speakers. As you use them when having a conversation, you’ll sound more fluent in English. It’s certain that when you learn proverbs, you’ll hear them often in English conversation since native English speakers often use them without even realizing it. You’ll also come across proverbs while you’re watching TV Series and movies.
Here are some of the most common English Proverbs that you should know;
6 Common English Proverbs with Examples and Meanings
First things first
Definition; important things should be done or dealt with before other things
– I have a lot of homework to do, but, first things first, I should have something to eat.
The early bird catches the worm
Definition; if you do something before other people, you will have the best chance of success
– The tickets will go on sale tomorrow and I’m supposed to be there in the morning. The early bird catches the worm.
Action speak louder than words
Definition; used to say that your actions are more important than your words
– You always speak of success, but you don’t have the determination to succeed. Actions speak louder than words!
The grass is always greener on the other side
Definition; it’s used to say that other people’s circumstances or belongings always seem more appealing than the things one’s own
– He always wanted to be his own boss, and now that he is, he’s working harder than ever before. The grass is always greener on the other side!
Practice makes perfect
Definition; doing something over and over makes you better at it
– Don’t worry about your pronunciation, practice makes perfect!
Where there’s a will, there’s a way
Definition; if you’re determined or motivated enough to do something, you can find a way to do it
– She was determined to lose weight, and she lost 10 kilos before her wedding, where there’s a will, there’s a way.
We’re going to go through six English Proverbs that you must know in the video below.