The best way to learn the difference between would rather & prefer is through practice and I challange you to score ten on ten in the “would rather & prefer” quiz. Read through the ten sentences and choose the correct missing words.
For each of the following 1-10, choose the correct answer.
1) I ... eating French fries with ketchup.
2) It’s raining. I ... take a taxi than wait for a bus.
3) He prefers red wine ... white.
4) I ... spend so much money on shoes.
5) They ... to leave tonight.
6) May I smoke in here? – I would rather you ... .
7) I ... to buy domestic ... foreign products.
8) I ... have been born in Norway.
9) ... subtitled or dubbed TV shows?
10) ... be blind or be deaf?
Share your Results:
Answers – Would Rather & Prefer Quiz
1. I prefer eating French fries with ketchup.
2. It’s raining. I would rather take a taxi than wait for a bus.
3. He prefers red wine to white.
4. I would rather not spend so much money on shoes.
5. They would prefer not to leave tonight.
6. May I smoke in here? – I would rather you didn’t.
7. I prefer to buy domestic rather than foreign products.
8. I would rather have been born in Norway.
9. Do you prefer subtitled or dubbed TV shows?
10. Would you rather be blind or be deaf?
Finished already? Then try another exercise here.